Posts for tag: Chronic Sinusitis
Tossing and turning at night because of stuffy sinuses can leave patients tired and frustrated. Using over the counter medication can offer a quick fix, but sometimes there is another underlying cause, such as chronic sinusitis. Let board-certified specialist, Dr. Christina M. McAlpin in Los Angeles, CA, examine your sinuses for an accurate assessment.
Some of the signs patients experience with chronic sinusitis are:
- Inflammation of the nasal passage for three months or more. Many irritations of the nose go away on their own, but long-lasting inflammation or recurrent symptoms may need a visit to the doctor.
- Struggle with allergy symptoms that do not end. Patients with hayfever or asthma may often find that their symptoms take longer to recede even with a prescription and over the counter medication. This is because you do not need to have allergies to have chronic sinusitis.
- Post-nasal drip, or mucus that drains at the back of the throat. Although other conditions share this symptom, chronic sinusitis can cause mucus drainage that doesn’t seem to go away. This drainage can interfere with talking, swallowing, and even sleeping.
- Swelling and redness inside of the nasal passages. These symptoms are often confused with allergies, so it is a good idea to have a specialist check and rule out any other conditions. Sinuses can swell up and block airways, making it hard to breathe, sleep, and even speak.
- A constantly runny nose. Non-stop nasal drainage can interfere with everyday activities and be the cause of more nose blowing. This increased blowing may lead to more swelling and redness of the sinuses, creating a cycle of irritation.
No matter the situation, chronic sinusitis is treatable. Need an ear, nose, and throat specialist serving the Los Angeles, CA, area concerning your chronic sinusitis and other otolaryngological needs?
Call (213) 745-4060 to schedule a consultation with Dr. McAlpin today!